X-Men '97

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: X-Men '97

Post by anarky »

Tolerance Is Extinction, Part 1: You can literally hear the nerd boners ripping through pants throughout this episode.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Sooo…Cable was in the original series, but his lineage was never addressed? Or did he and the viewers know, but Cyke and the rest of the X-Men never found out.

Cliff Notes is a solid comparison of the storylines.

Since Bastion was introduced during the years when I wasn’t reading, he doesn’t seem like a solid threat to me. By the time I got back into comics, he had already come and gone. The original OZT happened after the Onslaught battle right?

The Cap and Spidey cameos were interesting. I never watched any of the cartoons, so I don’t know how interconnected the animated universe was. The trailer(s) for XM97 made it seem like Cap would have a bigger role in the series, or at least that episode. Which didn’t happen. I laughed at the sort-of almost-but-not-quite Avengers theme when he showed up.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

X-Men and Spider-Man did have a crossover/guest appearances back in the 90s.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Was it ever explained how Bishop and Morph (re)joined the team?

This episode:
Jubilee is a good-digger.
Cable sounds suspiciously like Josh Brolin.
The World Trade Center is prominently featured in the NYC skyline.
Between "You don't screw with the Summers" to "Put on your deathbed," this show really needs to decide if it wants to be like the original show or more mature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Cable was in the original, but they introduced him way early. I think the second or third episode. Not sure if it was conclusively known who he was in comics until the show was off the air.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I just love that this show is the first (I think) Marvel Studios Doom, and, in about two seconds, they nailed what Fox fucked up for decades.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Damn.

Second time I've wondered if they'd GO THERE and the answer has been a resounding "Fuck yes, they will."

Next week will be nucking futs, and someone else ain't walking away.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Well. I was going to wait and just watch the last two episodes together next week, since I was binging them two at a time for the whole season.

But someone spoiled this episode with a cheeky reference in the Hidden Gems topic.

So now I’m not gonna bother with any if it. I’ll just assume the rest of the season was an adaptation of ALL of Chuck Austen’s X-Men comics and I don’t need to watch Angel banging Cannonball’s underage sister above the family farm. Gross.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tell me who did it and I will kick him in the nuts.

(Apologies, though you did a better job avoiding shit than me. DeMayo can write a kickass story, but he spoiled this shit a couple of weeks ago.)

I'm still pissed over Chuck Austen's bullshit. The guy accidentally set up a potentially incredible religious allegory or criticism by having a character named after the Biblical concept of renewal literally fucking crucified to death and revived by a blood transfusion from a guy named Angel (who also had famously descended to metaphorical Hell and come back), and the dumb fuck stuck with his bullshit stupid "Nightcrawler is the devil's son" bullshit. A goddamned third grader could've picked up on what he inadvertently set up... but he was too busy picking his nose and being too fascinated to actually eat the boogers.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

While enjoyable, I still can't help but think of this show as X-Men's Greatest Hits or Cliff's Notes X-Men.
All the big story moments with very minimim impact/emotion.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Next season will be a doozy.

I especially loved that they set up Onslaught, even throwing in a line or two in the finale that seemed to foreshadow his coming... then completely went another direction entirely.

Also not just saying it because they're the two greatest, but Nightcrawler and Jubilee combining powers to hit Bastion with nonstop explosions from various angles may be the cleverest use of mutant powers I've seen in any story, ever.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

For anyone not caring about spoilers, the final episode was Annie Ghazikhanian, the nurse character Chuck Austen stuffed into all his stories and had on a dating roulette with Havok, Iceman, and several other X-Men, her son Carter, and Sammy “Squid-Boy” Paré walking around the Farmer’s Market and then spending the entire episode looking for the car because they can’t remember where they parked.

Riveting stuff from the mind of Chuck Austen.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm For anyone not caring about spoilers, the final episode was Annie Ghazikhanian, the nurse character Chuck Austen stuffed into all his stories and had on a dating roulette with Havok, Iceman, and several other X-Men, her son Carter, and Sammy “Squid-Boy” Paré walking around the Farmer’s Market and then spending the entire episode looking for the car because they can’t remember where they parked.

Riveting stuff from the mind of Chuck Austen.
Also full frontal Beak nudity.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Oh snap, I forgot about Beak.
Remember when he and Angel(not Warren, the Latina one that he had all the weird bird babies with) lost their powers after M-Day and then got power suits with wings and joined that crappy New Warriors team?

Haha. That’s in season two.