So, what toys did you buy or get this week?

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, what toys did you buy or get this week?

Post by Ran »

Won my first ebay auction in quite a long time. It was for a bunch Buffalo Bills Starting Lineup figures from the 90s. Collecting old Starting Lineup is my thing now. They are fairly easily to get, especially since I don't care if they are open or carded. Last week I picked up several baseball figures at the flea market for $3 each.

If the price is right, I also pick up the McFarlane Sports figures, too.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I loved the McFarlane figures, but it was impossible to find any Detroit players in Michigan. They were always snatched up immediately and the secondary rates were ridiculous. They've come down quite a bit, but my NEED for them had passed.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

has McFarlane figured out how to make joints that don't break yet? i haven't bought a McF figure in a long time. at least half of the ones i have are missing a limb or two.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I don't have too many McFarlane figures that are open. Alice Cooper's wrist is the only one that is broken. McFarlane lost the sports license a few years back. The newest McFarlane figures I have are from the 1966 Batman line, but they are still in the package.

And if it makes Diabolical any happier, the only McFarlane Lions player I have is Joey Harrington. I also have 2 Gordie Howes. One Detroit, and one Hartford. I almost bought a Barry Sanders this past weekend. I might go back and pick it up next week.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:04 am has McFarlane figured out how to make joints that don't break yet? i haven't bought a McF figure in a long time. at least half of the ones i have are missing a limb or two.
They’ve got the DC license now, and of the very few figures I’ve got, I’m afraid to position their “several dozen” points of articulation for that very reason. And also, It’s next to impossible to put their handheld accessories(weapons, etc) in their hands because the hands are too stiff to open up enough to grasp said accessories.
They also tend to be poorly balanced.
I’m pretty sure DC’s President, Publisher, and CEO Jim Lee threw his ol’ Image buddy a bone.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:32 pm
vynsane wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:04 am has McFarlane figured out how to make joints that don't break yet? i haven't bought a McF figure in a long time. at least half of the ones i have are missing a limb or two.
I’m afraid to position their “several dozen” points of articulation for that very reason. And also, It’s next to impossible to put their handheld accessories(weapons, etc) in their hands because the hands are too stiff to open up enough to grasp said accessories.
They also tend to be poorly balanced.
ha! so, "no". you'd think after almost three decades they'd hire some Q/C personnel.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Had one of my luckiest finds yet at the flea market today. I pass by a booth that had a couple small bins of Star Wars. Most of it was POTF2 and Shadow of the Empire. Then I see a green head, which ended up being a vintage Greedo, and he was holding an Imperial blaster. I dig a little further, and found a vintage Boba Fett, also with a blaster. Got them for $3 each. They had a Biker Scout, but his chest was beyond yellow and almost tan.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Nice score.

Amazon had the Speeding Bullets Batman for half price the other day so I snagged one because the figure never showed up at work.
Speeding Bullets is a classic Elseworlds story when the Wayne's found Kal El's crashed ship, named him Bruce, and raised him as their son. One fateful evening in a Gotham alley triggers Bruce's powers and charges his life.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ran wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:36 pm Had one of my luckiest finds yet at the flea market today. I pass by a booth that had a couple small bins of Star Wars. Most of it was POTF2 and Shadow of the Empire. Then I see a green head, which ended up being a vintage Greedo, and he was holding an Imperial blaster. I dig a little further, and found a vintage Boba Fett, also with a blaster. Got them for $3 each. They had a Biker Scout, but his chest was beyond yellow and almost tan.
Boba Fett for $3?!! Holy shit, dude! Buy some lottery tickets!

Weren’t the Beach troopers in Rogue One Speeder Bike uniforms in tan/beige?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Awesome find, Ran!

My latest purchases have been GI Joe Classified 6" figures, against all my better judgement. The LCS had "buy 2, get 1 free" on all figures so I replaced my 6" Death Squad Commander & got Dusty & Stalker to go with him. Then the shopping started & I have picked up Spirit on sale as well as Rock N Roll at full price. I also pre-ordered Snow Job from Hasbro Pulse & included Snake Eyes with Timber on a Star Wars preorder I made.

Regarding Rock N Roll - I'm a huge NOT fan of the blind boxes. You can't tell if anything is missing, broken, or badly painted. The lady at Game Stop seems to think they're going back to the window boxes soon due to all the complaining.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Tom Foolery wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:47 pm
Ran wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:36 pm Had one of my luckiest finds yet at the flea market today. I pass by a booth that had a couple small bins of Star Wars. Most of it was POTF2 and Shadow of the Empire. Then I see a green head, which ended up being a vintage Greedo, and he was holding an Imperial blaster. I dig a little further, and found a vintage Boba Fett, also with a blaster. Got them for $3 each. They had a Biker Scout, but his chest was beyond yellow and almost tan.
Boba Fett for $3?!! Holy shit, dude! Buy some lottery tickets!

Weren’t the Beach troopers in Rogue One Speeder Bike uniforms in tan/beige?
Not sure about the Beach Trooper. It was definitely a 1983 Kenner Biker Scout, but it was just really discolored. The Boba Fett was in great condition. Greedo is slightly discolored and the horn/spiky things on his head are a bit worn, so I'll probably end up buying another one at some point.

For Father's Day, they gave me the Indiana Jones FIghter Plane Chase Lego set. I have a gift card I've been trying to figure out what to do with...I'm thinking about getting The Office Lego set to give myself something to do over the 4th of July weekend.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:55 pmRegarding Rock N Roll - I'm a huge NOT fan of the blind boxes. You can't tell if anything is missing, broken, or badly painted. The lady at Game Stop seems to think they're going back to the window boxes soon due to all the complaining.
They are indeed ditching windowless boxes later this year due to fan complaints.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I got toys this week. The Nevarro Cantina is on final clearance up here so I purchased that set for just over $40. It comes with a vintage carded Deathtrooper.

I also got a box of pre-ordered stuff from my current favourite Canadian e-tailer:

Vintage Collection:

Vader w Removable Helmet
Piett
Jerjerrod
Han from the Endor Bunker

The cards on these figures are all 10/10. Absolutely glorious - and I mean the pictures & presentation more than the condition. This Piett card is breathtaking. The figures are good figures & I can justify most of them.

6" Boba Fett on original Star Wars galaxy card which I had passed on when it was out at retail.

I also got some GI Joe Classified in this box:

Storm Shadow
Cobra Officer
Crimson Guard
Snake Eyes with Timber (v1 Snake Eyes with goggles - really should have been visor Snake Eyes if we're being traditional but I'm good with it. Very cool figure).
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I finally got the Black Series Luke from Mando season 2.
We've had it sitting in back at work for ages but some digital snafu made it unable to ring up ("item not on file"). Someone put it on the shelf and the cashier manually entered the price.

Ithink the only other semi-recent thing I've picked up was the 6" Indiana Jones (from Raiders).
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I don't want to delve into the Indy 6", but they are awesome. There is one with him in an Arab robe with the staff of Ra that is phenomenal.