Rank ALL the comic book superhero movies you've seen

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Rank ALL the comic book superhero movies you've seen

Post by anarky »

Howard the Duck has never been as bad as people say it is. It's enjoyable, though stupid and dated. Same with TMNT2. It's bad, but not horrible.

Spidey 3 is a pice of carp, pure and simple. And it fares worse overall since it's the same folks who brought us the first two, which are both amazing movies. At least Brian Singer doesn't have his name attached to X-Men: The Last Stand.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

anarky wrote:Howard the Duck has never been as bad as people say it is. It's enjoyable, though stupid and dated.

Same with TMNT2.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I don't even know if I can list them, let alone rank them.

The Good (and by Good, I mean I liked it when I saw it - in some cases 20 years ago):

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
X-Men
X-Men 2
Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles (first live action - I haven't seen any others)
Hulk
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four 2
Batman
Batman Begins
Batman Returns (as long as this is the Kilmer Batman)
Batman (60's version)
Sin City
Dick Tracy
Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns

The Bad (and by Bad I mean has no redeeming qualities whatsoever OR is so inferior to the former chapters in its franchise that someone should have stepped in before it hit theatres):

Batman & Robin (as long as this is the Clooney Batman)
Batman ****** (as long as this is the 2nd Burton one, I hated the ducks at the end enough to spoil the whole show for me)
Daredevil
X3
Spider-Man 3
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Batman Returns was Michael Keaton. According to the credits, Christopher Walken was in it, too. I forgot about that.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Rogue II wrote:Batman Returns was Michael Keaton. According to the credits, Christopher Walken was in it, too. I forgot about that.
fuck yeah, with some of the best lines ever

"women. nothing surprises me, chip, except your late mother. who'd have thought selina had a brain to damage? bottom line, she tries to blackmail me, i'll throw her out a higher window. til then, i got bigger fish to fry."

walken: "bruce wayne, why are you dressed up like batman?"
pfeiffer: "because he IS batman you moron."

batman forever is the one with val kilmer. and i'd put it on another list.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The 2nd Burton Batman is mostly good - it's the horrid, horrid ending battle I just can't forgive or forget. The cast was amazing..... I should probably watch it again.
"Something inside me....."
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

I was planning on revising my list after "The Dark Knight", and here it is.

1. The Dark Knight - My new favorite, and it really is the greatest superhero movie ever made. Not only that, but it is one of the very few films (including the Lord of the Rings trilogy) that not only lived up to the hype, but exceeded it.
2. Spider-Man - I rewatched the Spider-Man trilogy a while ago and I came to the conclusion that the first is my favorite out of the three. It really redefined superhero movies forever, and it deserves a lot more credit.
3. Iron Man - What's really great about this one is they took a second-string Marvel hero and turned it into an awesome movie.
4. X2: X-Men United - My original #1. I did some thinking and I realized that while this was the best of the X-Men trilogy, it isn't really the best superhero movie.
5. Batman Begins - I didn't love it the first time I saw it, but I definitely grew to love it the more times I saw it. But its sequel rectified the minor flaws that this one had, like adding a better villain and removing Katie Holmes.
6. Spider-Man 2 - This one was a great addition to the franchise, but my only gripe was that it borrowed to many elements from movies like "Superman II".
7. Batman (1989) - Still a classic, but looking back on it, they spent too much time focusing on the Joker and not enough on Batman/Bruce Wayne.
8. Spider-Man 3 - My opinions have changed on this one in the past year. When I first saw it, I hailed it as the second coming for superhero movies. That was a bit much. Mostly, it was just a fanboy high of finally seeing Venom on screen. After seeing it again recently, I can't say it's a bad movie. The only scenes that bother me are the corny dancing Peter montages. I think the movie's good, but not great.
9. Sin City
10. Superman II
11. X-Men
12. Superman: The Movie
13. 300
(I actually forgot to add this last time)
14. Batman Returns
15. V For Vendetta
16. X-Men: The Last Stand
17. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
18. Superman Returns
- This one does not age well for me. It's still a decent movie, but each time I watch it I see more flaws.
19. Wanted - I didn't read the comic, but this one was entertaining.
20. The Incredible Hulk
21. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
22. TMNT
23. The Punisher (2004)
24. Hellboy
25. Fantastic Four
26. Batman Forever
27. The Mask
28. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
29. Hulk
30. Daredevil
31. From Hell
32. Batman: Gotham Knight
33. Superman: Doomsday
34. Ghost Rider
35. Batman and Robin
- Believe it or not, this actually moved up a few notches from the bottom. Because it's a fun movie to watch while drunk.
36. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
37. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
38. Superman III
39. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

I might revisit this next year after "Watchmen" comes out.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

So many many many Comic Films have come out since you started this topic.

I'm curious as to how the current crop (I.E. the last six years worth) compares to your original list? And if anything on your original list might've moved up or down (fer instance, Superman is at 18. Below The Mask. Are you serious?)

So first off, I'd love a new list ranked. But ONLY of the movies since your first list.
Then after, you can combine the two, and note any adjustments.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here's a list of the last five years worth of Super Hero/Comic Movies as far as I can tell. I didn't put any Animated Films in there. I'm assuming there's been about a thousand direct-to-DVD animated films recently.

'08. The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Hellboy II.
Hancock and Speed Racer don't meet the requirements, but I mention them just in case.

'09. X-Men Origins:Wolverine, Watchmen. And possibly GIJoe:RoC if you want to bend rules.

'10. Iron Man 2, Kickass, Scott Pilgrim, Losers, Jonah Hex.

'11. Thor, Cap, X-Men First Class, Green Lantern, Tintin, Cowboys&Aliens. And possibly Conan and Green Hornet.

'12. Avengers, DK Rises, Amazing Spidey, MiB3, Ghost Rider 2. And possibly John Carter and Chronicle.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

John Carter should not count. There was a licensed comic, but, if Speed Racer doesn't count, John Carter shouldn't. Same for Conan and Green Hornet.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I listed them for you to use or discard at your discretion. If you want to use Speed Racer, go for it. And I forgot The Spirit from 2008. Because I was going off boxofficemojo's list from each year. And apparently I didn't scroll down far enough to the movies that made jack shit.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Here's a quick stab at it:

Avengers
Iron Man
Tintin
Dark Knight

Damn, I'm in bad shape on the catching up I need to do.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Hrrmm..using only those last 25 or so, here's how I rank 'em. I haven't seen all of them, so I'll note the ones I haven't seen but where I think they'd be based on anecdotal word of mouth reviews. GiJoe is in there because the Producers pimped it as based on the comic, not the cartoon. And IM3 is in there as well. EDIT #1:Frak. I guess I should've put GIJoe 2 in there also, but I'm not renumbering all that shit. It's around the 14-16 mark. EDIT #2: Shitz. Forgot Amazing Spidey also. It's in the 8-10 area.

25. The Spirit
24. Jonah Hex
23. Green Lantern
22. Cowboys & Aliens
21. Ghost Rider 2
20. GIJoe RoC
19. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
18. MiB 3
17. Wanted
16. Hellboy II
15. Iron Man 3
14. Dark Knight Rises
13. Scott Pilgrim
12. KickAss
11. Losers
10. Watchmen
9. Thor
8. Iron Man 2
7. Captain America
6. Tintin
5. Incredible Hulk
4. X-Men First Class
3. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
1. The Avengers

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I thought we might shift JJ’ s TopFive question from the Batman Topic over into this one, and perhaps expand on it since, as he mentioned, there’s been a billion more SuperHero/Comic movies in the past decade since we started this discussion.

I’ll bet Chuxter’s list is significantly different.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery wrote:Here's a list of the last five years worth of Super Hero/Comic Movies as far as I can tell. I didn't put any Animated Films in there. I'm assuming there's been about a thousand direct-to-DVD animated films recently.

'08. The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Hellboy II.
Hancock and Speed Racer don't meet the requirements, but I mention them just in case.

'09. X-Men Origins:Wolverine, Watchmen. And possibly GIJoe:RoC if you want to bend rules.

'10. Iron Man 2, Kickass, Scott Pilgrim, Losers, Jonah Hex.

'11. Thor, Cap, X-Men First Class, Green Lantern, Tintin, Cowboys&Aliens. And possibly Conan and Green Hornet.

'12. Avengers, DK Rises, Amazing Spidey, MiB3, Ghost Rider 2. And possibly John Carter and Chronicle.
And here’s an update for the intervening years. List may be incomplete.

‘13. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Thor:Dark World, The Wolverine, GIJoe:Retaliation, 2 Guns, RIPD, KickAss2.

‘14. GotG, Cap:Winter Soldier, X-Men:DoFP, Big Hero 6, ASM 2, TMNT(Bay), 300:Rise of an Empire.

‘15. Avengers:Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Kingsman, Fant4stic. (That seems light, did I miss some?)

‘16. Cap:Civil War, Deadpool, BvsS, Suicide Squad, Dr. Strange, X-Men:Apocalypse, TMNT:OutoftheShadows.

‘17. Wonder Woman, GotG Vol 2, Spider-Man:Homecoming, Thor:Ragnarok, Logan, Justice League, Lego Batman, Kignsman:Golden Circle, Power Rangers, Valerian.

‘18. Black Panther, Avengers:Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Ant-Man/Wasp, Venom, Aquaman, Into the SpiderVerse.

‘19. Endgame, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man:Far From Home, Joker, Shazam!, MiB:International, Dark Phoenix.

‘20. Birds of Prey, Bloodshot.