How/where do you display your stuff?

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: How/where do you display your stuff?

Post by Tom Foolery »

The second bin. Holy shit, I did not think I had bought that many DC Direct figures. I know this isn’t even all of them; there’s probably another bin that’s at least half DC Direct. Plus, there were a dozen more in this box I couldn’t find the corresponding base for them to stand on, so they’re laying down off camera. (Honestly, I was guessing which figures went with which bases. At some point I’ll have to research the sets). The OMACs were on clearance so I got more than one.
The motorcycles were because I saw someone post a figure like Nightwing or the Punisher on one of those Maisto cycles and I thought ‘cool!’ so I grabbed a few.
Mongul’s arm busted off when I tried to pose it. That sucks.
Forgot I had Pitt. That was a fun find in the bottom of the bin. Also found a missing/spare hand with no obvious figure it belongs to. There’s also a small owl with some metal studs on it, which I assume attach to someone’s magnetic arm, but I can’t figure out who.
Attachments
3BB1F35E-A87A-41DF-B059-7A04B26A856B.jpeg
3BB1F35E-A87A-41DF-B059-7A04B26A856B.jpeg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 922 times
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Had some casualties from the second bin. My cat knocked movie Joker off the table and his head broke off. And All-Star Batgirl’s arm snapped when I tried adjusting it. Fuck.

Anyway, here’s the third bin. I packed this away before I moved to California in 2006, so these guys have been packed away for 17 years!

My DC Direct collecting started with the Superman, GL, Wonder Woman in the back. I was just gonna get definitive figures for the main DC characters, and it ballooned.

The Batman on the far left was one of the earliest Mattel DC figures. The batrope he’s holding is from the Comic Action Heroes figures from 1975. The Batman it came with is lost to time(or hidden in another box somewhere that I completely forgot about).

The 200x She-Ra was a Comic Con exclusive they were randomly giving away. We got one, because my 3 year old daughter(who is 25 now) was the one that got to pull the winning lottery number from the box. Prince Adam looks suspiciously like Kenner era Mark Hamill

The Hal Jordan behind the Swedish Chef is broken. Both his lower legs are unattached and he’s standing there thanks to gravity. I’ll have to glue them on or something.

The Palisades Muppets figures are still fucking dope 20 years later.
Attachments
5FF81551-0828-4047-8698-B68BDBE126C6.jpeg
5FF81551-0828-4047-8698-B68BDBE126C6.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 909 times
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Those Muppets figures seemed pretty cool, but I didn't have the money or space to get them.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ran wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:21 pm Those Muppets figures seemed pretty cool, but I didn't have the money or space to get them.
That was one of those series where I was like ‘Okay, I’m just gonna get Kermit.” Then, “Okay, I’m just gonna get Kermit and Gonzo.” Then, Okay, I’m just getting the main gang, so Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Piggy…okay and Scooter I guess…oh that Swedish Chef looks cool….oh man, Statler and Waldorf!? I gotta get them!…” and then they started releasing the play sets like Bunsen’s Lab, the Chef’s kitchen, Pigs in Space, and eventually the entire backstage set. By then I was screwed and buying everything and hunting down the online exclusives.

But I’m glad I did. It’s easily one of the best toylines ever.
And Palisades was gonna do Sesame Street next, with every figure having a part of the “Street” so by the time you were done, you’d have a complete Sesame Street to display them in front of. But they went out of business. Sad face.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I have the recent Diamond Select Statler and Waldorf (the G.O.A.T.s). It was tempting to get more, but I resisted.

Some day I dream of having a fun collection room set up with a big ass TV and shelves on both sides - each shelf being themed. S&W will be off to the side, ready to spit insults.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The next tub had some Transformers on the top layer. I had already started a shelf, but It was nice being able to combine three diferent mini collections I had accrued in Cedar Rapids, out in California, and then a few more after I came back to Iowa.

My OG figures from the 80s are buried somewhere in my parents basement. I feel like a lot of them are busted from youthful playtime but hopefully they, too, will get some shelf time eventually. I have a few RiD figures somewhere too, like Brawn-X and whatever the cop car was called. My collections are scattered.
I’ve got a couple weapons laying here, so I have to do fucking internet research to see whose hands they go in, but otherwise it’s nice seeing them all together. Especially, the three Seekers together finally(and also Dirge and Thrust, but not Ramjet…)
Attachments
1D381970-D898-4CEB-81AA-197B9AF79D74.jpeg
1D381970-D898-4CEB-81AA-197B9AF79D74.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 895 times

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

In addition to the Transformers, there was a small group of random figures, and as I went through the layers, I realized it was mostly Marvel Legends. I don’t have a good place to put all the Legends yet, and they don’t stand up very well(and since this has become a pattern of behavior setting the figures up, my cat has discovered its a fun game to jump on the table and knock as many over as possible Godzilla-style) so this bin is going back in the basement.
The DCDirect figures in the back are from the other bins. They are missing stands so haven’t been displayed yet.

That Roboto was the last 200x MotU figure I was missing and he’s never been united with the others, so that’ll be cool.

Opening the toybins is taking a backseat to organizing the comics for now. Because apparently I’m not allowed to have ALL my hobbies spread out in every room of the house as unfinished projects all at the same time or something. :roll:
Attachments
AF860B2A-2BBC-4BB5-B0FA-3CC784D312C0.jpeg
AF860B2A-2BBC-4BB5-B0FA-3CC784D312C0.jpeg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 880 times

Ran

Post by Ran »

This is a shelf with random figures in my closet. That is Weird Al on the left behind the Wampa. I saw a retro Mego Robin at Walmart, and might have to get it to go with Batman. The Star Destroyer and Death Star on the top are Ban Dai models. My wife bought me a AT-ST Ban Dai model for Valentine's day.

Yes, that is Turbo from the Go-Bots right in the middle. I picked it up a flea market last year. Back in the day, I had Turbo and Leader-1.

The yellow truck is a Coke deliver truck. I've had it as long as I can remember. It is pretty beat up. It appears to be from the 1960s, so it might have been my uncle's.
Attachments
20230218_150124[1].jpg
20230218_150124[1].jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 877 times
Ran

Post by Ran »

This is the Elvis wall in my closet. A few other things got mixed in over time. The concert poster is just something I printed off the internet on 11x17. The only Elvis item that I bought was the photo. The rest of it was bought by my wife/kids/mother-in-law as a gag gifts over the years.
Attachments
20230218_151915[1].jpg
20230218_151915[1].jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 877 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Captain Caveman! Nice!
I have a couple random Elvis items besides the figures I have. I have a Street Sign, and like a random 10x12 tin “poster”. Im not even that into Elvis, but I thought they might tie the figures together if displayed with them.

In my head, I would eventually like to go find one McFarlane NFL figure from each team. But I currently have no place to display 32 figures like that. Maybe when one or both of my kids move out, I can turn their room into another display area.

I vaguely remember reading in one of the other topics when you got that Devito Penguin figure.

Ran

Post by Ran »

Tom Foolery wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:16 am In my head, I would eventually like to go find one McFarlane NFL figure from each team. But I currently have no place to display 32 figures like that. Maybe when one or both of my kids move out, I can turn their room into another display area.
The Walter Payton McFarlane is on my desk, but it is out of the package. I have about 10 McFarlane NFL figures, about half of them are still in the package. I'm still on my sports figure run, where I pick up old Starting Lineup or McFarlane figures (opened or in the package) whenever I see them at antique stores of the flea market. Import Dragons has the NFL license now. I want to get Josh Allen and Stephon Diggs.

McFarlane just got the NHL license back. The first wave is all current players, and no "legends". I still can't believe they only made Alexander Molginy in a Leafs uniform, and didn't do a Sabres repaint.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Almost a year later, I’m getting back around to the rest of the action figure bins in the basement. My son is building a PC for his sister, so that’s what all the background nonsense is.
Those are all Alternators on the left. They were more compact to store in car mode, and I had a bitch of a time transforming Masterpiece Optimus in the back, so in car mode they will stay for the time being.
That’s Sigma-6 Stormshadow and Snake-Eyes behind them.
Vintage Shockwave that I’m not actually sure how I acquired. Flea market? His cannon arm is busted but otherwise he looks okay.
Nemesis Prime behind Eric Draven, and a mini Nemesis down in front. Not sure if Draven’s crow has a bent wing from being in storage or if it’s supposed to look like that. He barely stands on his base, either tilts to the left or right.
Hellboy was a convention exclusive with a “real” soft coat rather than a sculpted plastic one.
A couple Plan-B SWAT cops in front.
That R2 is actually an electronic “dice” from some old game. You push his head down and he randomly gives you a 1-6 roll. But he’s sorta in scale with 6” figures so I kept him. This was well before the Black Series was a thing.
That’s “Get me pictures of Spider-Man!!” JJ Jameson’s desk from the original movie figures. JJJ and his chair are probably in a different bin.
O’Brien from Star Trek is from the DS9 episode where they digitally inserted everyone into the old Tribble episode. But he looks enough like a generic Red Shirt for my TOS away party.
The only three Unleashed figures I ever got are in the back; Grievous, Stromtrooper, and a Vader that is barrrrely staying on his perch. He’s too top heavy for his flimsy base.
Sauron sadly lost his hand while in storage. I’ll have to glue it back on and give up the articulation.
Nancy from Sin City will barely stand up. And Frodo won’t stand up at all.
I thought I had all nine Fellowship, but I only have Frodo, Legolas and Boromir in this bin. I don’t count King Aragorn because I have a Strider to go with the Fellowship.

Now to find places for all of them and get the next bin out!
Attachments
C68DE63F-03C1-4426-904F-D28384F1413F.jpeg
C68DE63F-03C1-4426-904F-D28384F1413F.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 580 times

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The next bin is a bunch of Marvel Legends. I’m pretty sure this is where I stopped buying them regularly because there’s a half built Arnim Zola in the bin and he’s missing a leg and an arm because I couldn’t find the variant figures from that Legends wave and got fed up with the entire thing. I’d have to go look online to see which figures I’m missing from that wave.
There’s plenty of variant figs there. The Daredevils, Captain Marvels, Winter Soldiers, etc.
I don’t think the Skrull and Goliath were BAFs. I think you could buy the larger figures, but it was so long ago I don’t remember for sure.
The only non Legends are Thanos and The Thing which were both Diamond Select figures I believe.
Attachments
E77DB001-E7F0-4130-AF53-FDB75B04B8B7.jpeg
E77DB001-E7F0-4130-AF53-FDB75B04B8B7.jpeg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 504 times

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The https://legendsverse.com/checklist/marv ... la-2012-77 Arnim Zola wave came out in 2012(!!!) I’ve been not collecting Legends for TWELVE years?! Yikes. Apart from the occasional figure here and there.

Looks like the BAF had two different versions, one with classic Zola, and one with a Red Skull variant. I’m missing Madame Masque, Drax, Thunderball, the Amp-suit Spidey, and both versions of Daken from that wave. If I wanted both BAFs I need to get all the missing figs, plus find extra arms and legs for the second figure. Meh.

Ran

Post by Ran »

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but https://roguetoys.com/ have 5 figures from the Zola wave, and 2 from Dell Rusk Red Skull.